Tonight Micah had a meeting in Columbus and was home later than his normal time. Anyone who stays at home with their kids all day knows they are joyful for many reasons when their spouse comes home. 1.) Someone to talk to other than a 3 year old. 2.) The extra pair of hands and eyes. 3.) Going to the bathroom by yourself! haha.Okay....on with the story.
So, this evening before dinner when Adilynn asked if her and Elijah could play by themselves in their room - I said sure. I was in need of a break and to get dinner started. I collapsed on the couch. After a few moments I checked on them but they were fine, so I left for a little while. I then start to hear that they are getting rowdy so I decided I would go back in and check on them before one of them got hurt. When I arrived both their cheeks were red as fire from where they had been playing and wrestling and having a blast. I picked up Elijah because he just looked like he needed a break. As soon as I picked him up and take him out Adilynn says " HEY - don't take my Elijah. I am playin with him." Her statement was cute on many levels. Mainly, because she made it sound as if he were her baby doll. I told her that he can go back in if he wants to, so I just sat him down in the hallway to see what he would do. As soon as I sat Elijah back on the floor he zoomed right back into the bedroom for the second round of rough housing. He actually reared up like a lion ready to pounce.
This playing gave joy to my heart. It came at a good time because just last night I told Micah I was concerned we were going to enter the phase that is bound to happen: the "I don't want my little brother playing with my things, so I am going to push him down stage". I know sibling fights will happens. But we want to try our best at teaching our children how to be best friends with each other. 1 John 3:16 starts by saying "By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." I want them to want to get along, and love even when they don't want to. My brother and I were best friends up until about middle school and then teenage hormones took the place of being nice to one another. But anyways - we had the best childhood together because we shared things, we rode our bikes together, hiked in the woods together, and played with our neighbors as a group! So many memories were had and that wouldn't of taken place if we had not been best friends. Now our parents may remember it differently but this is how I remember it and will chose to continue to remember it that way. I want that for Adilynn and Elijah and the other siblings that come along.
It is a long road but tonight I got a glimpse at what it is going to be like, and I loved it.
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment